RIFSoCal volunteers help our schools conduct three Motivational Reading Events each program year. Participating sites include Title I elementary schools, Head Start programs, and a variety of community service programs. A book event can be as simple as a volunteer reading to a group of children or as complex as a festival celebrating a particular culture, holiday, book or theme in an elaborately decorated auditorium with concurrent activities. At the end of every RIFSoCal book event, each child gets to CHOOSE a brand new book to keep and share with their families, compelling them to read for fun and pleasure.
Literacy Based Events:
Volunteers are matched with a geographically accessible site and assist with the implementation of Motivational Reading Events during the September-June school year. Schedule of events varies between sites.
- Availability during school hours
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to travel to sites located within the Greater Los Angeles or Orange County areas
- Love of working with children
- Desire to impact children’s literacy
At the direction of the warehouse manager volunteers may be asked to do one or more of the following during their day:
- Count out and/or sort bookmarks with bookplates for distribution to sites/schools.
- Separate/Open books packed in plastic wrap or boxes. This may also include occasional counting of books.
- Assist with filing of some paperwork.
- May also be asked to assist the scheduled sites in their selection of books for literacy based events.