“I volunteer at RIFSoCal because it is a great organization that encourages so many children to enjoy reading. It is especially fulfilling to work at the warehouse. I like the idea that RIFSoCal is able to purchase so many beautiful books and give them to children who would otherwise never own their own story book. It is very satisfying to attend Motivational Reading Events and see the happy faces of children when they choose a wonderful new book they can keep forever. When our education system is often challenged by budget cuts, RIFSoCal is investing in the literacy of our children. I love being a part of an organization that has such a positive mission. Everyone in the organization has the same focus - encouraging children in our schools to enjoy reading. Reading is Fun!!” ~Elaine
RIFSoCal volunteers help our schools conduct three Motivational Reading Events each program year. Participating sites include Title I elementary schools, Head Start programs, and a variety of community service programs. A book event can be as simple as a volunteer reading to a group of children or as complex as a festival celebrating a particular culture, holiday, book or theme in an elaborately decorated auditorium with concurrent activities. At the end of every RIFSoCal book event, each child gets to CHOOSE a brand new book to keep and share with their families, compelling them to read for fun and pleasure.
Literacy Based Events:
Volunteers are matched with a geographically accessible site and assist with the implementation of Motivational Reading Events during the September-June school year. Schedule of events varies between sites.
- Availability during school hours
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to travel to sites located within the Greater Los Angeles or Orange County areas
- Love of working with children
- Desire to impact children’s literacy
At the direction of the warehouse manager volunteers may be asked to do one or more of the following during their day:
- Count out and/or sort bookmarks with bookplates for distribution to sites/schools.
- Separate/Open books packed in plastic wrap or boxes. This may also include occasional counting of books.
- Assist with filing of some paperwork.
- May also be asked to assist the scheduled sites in their selection of books for literacy based events.