"If, at the current pace, America continues to lose the habit of regular reading, the nation will suffer substantial economic, social, and civic setbacks.”
- Dana Gioia, Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts
Did you know that…
- 60% of kindergarteners in low-income families do not have a single age-appropriate book in their home?
- The only behavior measure that correlates significantly with reading scores is the number of books in the home?
- Reading for pleasure correlates strongly with academic achievement?
- 90% of children living in poverty in Los Angeles have parents with “below or no” literacy skills?
- When students read books of their own choosing, they are more likely to be motivated, independent readers.
- More that 65% of all State and Federal correctional inmates can be classified as low literate.
Reading Is Fundamental of Southern California’s primary goal is to compel children to read by putting books of choice in the hands of those who otherwise would not have access to them - books they will be excited to read purely for pleasure. We seek to create a culture of literacy and an environment that supports it by building the home libraries of children and fostering a community that rallies around literacy.